Tonight, Loudoun County became the third school district, after Prince William and Fairfax Counties, to expand elementary school recess in response to the new state law advocated by More Recess for Virginians and signed by Gov. Northam in April. Continue reading “Loudoun County adopts Recess Bill. 40 minutes of recess”
The first county in the state to take advantage of the new flexibility that HB 1419 and SB 273 provides is Prince William County. Continue reading “Prince William County, First School District to Adopt Recess Legislation!”
Our very own “Recess Mom”, Barbara Larrimore, will be on the Kojo Nnamdi show this Monday 5/7 @ 12pm EST on 88.5FM in the DC Metropolitan Area! Continue reading “Listen to More Recess for Virginians on the Kojo Nnamdi Show Monday!”
After 2 very stressful weeks, 5 trips to Richmond, multiple recesses, dozens of cups of coffee, both Recess bills have been passed by the Virginia House and Senate. Continue reading “Both Virginia Recess Bills head to the VA Governers Desk”
We want to give a big thank you to Tisha Lewis from Fox5dc for helping to bring our campaign to the frontpage of news. It has been a phenominal day and we are so exicted to see both of the recess bill progress. Continue reading “More Recess for Virginians makes the news again!”
It has been a phenomenal week in Richmond as our Senate Bill, sponsored by Chap Petersen, SB273, passed the Senate! And is awaiting review by the House of Delegates.
Additionally, our House Bill, sponsored by Karrie Delaney, HB1419, unanimously passed subcommittee today. It still needs to be approved by the Education Committee, and voted on by the full House of Delegates next week. There were tons of supporters at the subcommittee hearing yesterday.
Lastly, we wanted to say a big “Thank You!” to the many organizations and recess advocates who came to the hearing to support the bill, including:
The More Recess for Virginians campaign is proud to announce that the Virginia American Academy of Pediatrics and American Heart Association have agreed to be supporters of the campaign and the HB1419 bill.
The American Heart Association supports HB 1419 to increase daily physical activity through recess, and will continue to advocate for the nationally recommended 30 minutes of daily physical education for elementary students. According to the CDC, physical education improves student attendance, test scores, participation and enthusiasm for other academic subjects, motivation to learn, and reduces discipline referrals.
All hands on deck! Delegate Karrie Delaney drops recess bill HB1419 and we need your help to make sure it goes to the Virginia Educational Committee. Call Steve Landes and ask him to support HB1419 @ 804-698-1025 or DelSLandes@house.virginia.gov.
Continue reading “We Have a Bill, HB1419!”
- John Bell (House District 87)
- Jeff Bourne (House District 71)
- Eileen Filler-Corn (House District 41)
- Wendy Gooditis (House District 10)
- Mark Keam (House District 35)
- Paul Krizek (House District 44)
- Kathleen Murphy (House District 34)
- Sam Rasoul (House District 11)
- David Reid (House District 32)
- Marcus Simon (House District 53)
- Barbara Favola (Senate District 31)
- Jennifer Wexton (Senate District 33)
Here’s another update on our progress. We have a logo now! Also, we’ve created a one pager to share with legislators and members of the public to briefly and clearly explain our bill. We’re still attending events and meeting with legislators. We’ve also added some groups to our list of supporters. If you know a group or legislator that supports out efforts, please let us know!
New Legislative Supporters:
- Janet Howell (Senate District 32)
- Dick Black (Senate District 13) **Offered to be Chief Co-Patron for the bill**
- Kaye Kory (House District 38) **Filed her own drafting request for a recess bill**
- Alfonso Lopez (House District 49)
- Hala Ayala (House District 51)
Legislators listed as supporters in the previous update: Chap Petersen, Richard Saslaw, David Marsden, Karrie Delaney, Mark Sickles, Danica Roem, Lee Carter
- Fairfax County School Board – Has supporting language in its Legislative Program
- Prince William County School Board – Has supporting language in its Legislative Program
- Fairfax County Council of PTAs (FCCPTA)
- NOVA Education Resources
- Project Save Childhood
- Authors of the Crucial Role of Recess in School (http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/131/1/183)
- Robert Murray MD, Pediatric Nutrition, Department of Human Nutrition, The Ohio State University
- Catherine L. Ramstetter, PhD, CHES, Owner & School Health Consultant, Successful Healthy Children